Sunday, September 18, 2011

are you a crazy person before you leave on a vacation?

I turn into a very crazy person before I leave on a vacation. It doesn't matter how long I'm gone for, it could be a weekend or months, if it involves packing, I turn crazy. Now I realize there are people out there laughing and saying to themselves "what does she mean she TURNS crazy? isn't she already there?", but if you thought I was crazy before, this brings it to a whole new level.
For example, I can live in chaos and clutter all the days of the year, but if I'm going away, I need to have my house spotlessly clean. Not just a little bit clean, but suck out the air ducts kind of clean. The problem with that is that for all those other days of the year I don't really care, so you can imagine the size of the job I'm facing in the days leading up to leaving. At the moment, the two biggest obstacles to me getting on a plane in a relaxed and happy fashion are my fridge and my bedroom. Doesn't sound so bad, does it? If I had the guts to do it, I would take a picture and show you the state of my room. I haven't actually slept in there since moving back here at the end of April. It became the room that accumulated all the extra boxes and stuff from my mom's house, so there are laundry baskets, boxes, furniture and filing cabinets full of papers to deal with - all before Thursday. So where does the crazy part happen? I won't sleep until it's done. And once it's done I will have to finish cleaning out the fridge and then the front storage room. Seriously, I get crazy obsessed. And just to be clear, this is all my mother's fault. She too, didn't sleep before a vacation and cleaned things around the house that at other times could go unnoticed for months. After all, what if the house were to catch fire while I'm not here to defend myself and my messy house to the fireman?
So, while you are all enjoying my countdown on facebook and being excited for me because I'm leaving in 5 days, please remember that I am a basket case at home and not in my right mind. Did I just write that I'm leaving in 5 days???!!!??? I should be holding a dustpan and a garbage bag, NOT a laptop!

No comments: