Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Are we there yet?

Let me start by saying that the Bahamas are unbelievable. Perfect, in fact. Before I get to telling you all about it, let me back track to the beginning of the journey here....
We left home on Friday morning when Susie picked us up at the farm and drove us to to the Ladner bus loop. Now don't go thinking Susie is too cheap to drive us all the way to the airport, no, my children wanted to arrive at the airport by bus and skytrain. We got out of the car and the fighting began. And lasted pretty much until the next morning. We were hungry, anxious and we just wanted to get somewhere.
The flight to Toronto was uneventful and we had a smooth check in to the Sheraton in the airport terminal. Then the drama really began. The plan was for the boys to plug in their electronics so they would be charged up for the next day and then we were going to go find something for dinner (it was 9pm). While I was organizing boarding passes and getting stuff ready for the morning, the only words (amidst the bickering) that I tuned in to were from Brendan..."where's my computer charger?" "Mom, where did you put my computer charger?"

[Let me take a moment here to tell you all that for a week before we left I had a master packing list typed up for each kid and there were many offers of help from me and that on the night before we left, I went through each item on the list with each kid and checked off that each item was indeed in a bag.] Back to the story...

"Brendan, I don't have your computer charger, you packed it in your backpack last night."
"I know I did, I remember putting it in with my headphones. BUT IT'S NOT HERE!!"

A few text messages home and his computer charger was found still plugged in to the power bar next to his bed. Hmmmmmm, I wonder how that happened.
If you are the parent of a teenager, you can appreciate the drama that ensued when he figured out that he wasn't going to have a laptop or a way to charge his iPod for the next 5 weeks.

Anyways, that drama was put on hold while we wandered downstairs to find something to eat. The restaurant in the hotel was struck off the list when we looked at a menu and the average entree was around $37. Oh, and by the way, we checked out the room service menu before we left the room and a burger and fries was $29 plus an $8 delivery charge and an automatic 18% tip. We decided to head back in to the terminal and just get something there. That is until we discovered that all the airport restaurants closed at 9pm. Does that not seem a bit ridiculous to you? An airport in a major metropolitan city and the food options close at 9pm? At this point, one of us is seriously cranky because he needs to eat, one of us is sulking because he has been cut off from the rest of the world and one of us is stressing because we are going to be out of money a week in to our trip. Whatever. Because God knows my limits, when we turned the next corner, there was a little hamburger place that was still flipping burgers. Yay!! We chowed down some food, and headed back to our room to put on swim suits for a dip in the pool before we headed to bed for a good night's sleep.

We enjoyed an "included with our room" buffet breakfast in the morning and then got on our plane headed for paradise...

No comments: