Wednesday, November 3, 2010

I've been talking to some people.

A year of frustration around losing weight has made me question people who are at a healthy weight on how they got there and then how they stay there. The most common thing I hear is that it is a top priority for them. That means that they have a plan, protect the plan and always execute the plan. Interestingly, when I sat down to think about what my top priorities are, it was hard to come up with any. So many things compete for my attention that they become priorities by default, but there isn't really any intention behind them and therefore I feel like I have no control and no say in the things that happen in my life. That makes me quite cranky.
Unfortunately for me, the only time that is virtually uninterruptable in the day are the VERY unsocial hours of the morning. In order for me to have a time to go to the gym/pool/or a class I would need to go at 6am. Now, if you know me at all, you will know that is not my best time of day. It is actually the OPPOSITE of my best time of day. So, the question becomes, how badly do I want what I say I want? I would have to completely change the patterns of my day and night if I am going to exercise that early in the morning. Or, I guess I could give up sleep. Although, maybe I would need less sleep if I physically felt better.
I think I will make a committment to myself that for 2 weeks I will try the early morning thing (M-F) - I am NOT getting up at 545am on Saturday and Sunday. I think that may even be against my religion.
So, for the weeks of Nov 8 and Nov 15 I will give it a go. I really do want to make a change and clearly I need to be doing something different than I've been doing.
Life changes are hard, no?

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I applaud people who have the ability to make themselves go to the gym or take a class... but if I had to do that in order to get exercise, I can pretty much guarantee that it would never happen. It most certainly would never happen at 6 in the morning!!

I find it so much easier to just find ways to encorporate exercise into my daily life... I walk to the store or to run errands, work in the garden, take bike rides for fun instead of going to the movies, hang the laundry up to dry (which requires some physical movement) etc. I have some exercise eqipment in the basement that gets occasional use, but I just find it so much easier to make a life that is active rather than trying to run on a treadmill like a rat in a cage.

The other huge thing that has allowed me to keep off my 40 pounds for the past 10 years is eating right. I try to focus on making sure that I eat tons of vegetables, and very few simple carbs (white flour, rice, potatoes & sugar). When I focus on that, the rest just seems to fall into place.

Hang in there! I'm pullin' for you!

Tami said...

Just a thought, do you already exercise or are you just exercising to lose weight? When I was losing weight I kept my same routines (not exercising regularly) and just adjusted my calorie intake and stayed "active" but I didn't go to the gym. What I found was, that I was more likely to keep the weight off because I wasn't changing too many routines. After I lost weight if I wanted to start new habits, my weight loss wasn't hinged on the exercising. And sure enough, I am still inconsisistent with exercising but my weight has stayed off for 2 years now. Now I am pretty active in my life, and I do watch what I eat each day. Just another avenue to consider. Bless you in your journey.