Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I hope the fostering people have a sense of humour.

The kids and I were talking about our fostering plans today and I told them that they would both be interviewed at some point in the process. Brendan immediately offered suggestions of things he could say that would “help” us move through the steps quickly…

1. I’m all for having some hot babes living with us. Can they be between the ages of 14 and 17?

2. So… did they tell you about the time my brother tried to kill me?

3. Don’t worry - my mom is great at spanking without leaving a mark.

4. We are a very functional family – as long as we all take our medication.

5. Is there a fostering exchange program? We’re looking for a home for my brother.

6. See the barn out there? It has a lock on it for a reason. Don’t be surprised when my mom can’t “find” the key. That’s where she sends us when we’re bad.

7. It’s about time we got some new kids around here, I’m getting tired of doing my chores.

Please pray for me – need I say more?

Seriously though, after talking some more, we are definitely firm on wanting to continue in the process and are committed to working with babies, toddlers and preschoolers. It stirs my heart to think of us being able to play a role in the safe keeping of a little person for a family that is struggling.

Ok, on to my question from yesterday and the one from today.

8. What's the most important way you will, by God's grace, try to make this year different from last year?

I don’t really like this question because it leads you to think that this year needs to be improved or made better than last year. I kind of liked my last year. I know it was full of challenges and stress, but last year brought me to this year. I am a better person because of last year. I am a better Christian because of last year. I am a better mom because of last year. Do you see where I’m going with this?
Maybe I’m reading more in to the question than needs be. It does say “different” after all, not “better”. I guess the most important thing I will do is pray. God will continue to lead me, and wait for me to catch up. I suppose that by the simple nature of prayer and obedience this year will be different than last year. I can’t wait to see what’s going to happen next…

9. What one thing could you do to improve your prayer life this year?

Ahhhhh, a tough question. Whatever I answer here I am going to have to follow through on and make changes. The immediate thing that comes to mind is to simply pray more. You know how some people are referred to as “prayer warriors”? I am not one of them. I know a few prayer warriors and they really deserve their title. Their entire beings are about prayers – it is a state of mind for them. I can very easily be a ‘seek and ye shall find’, ‘ask and you shall receive’, kind of pray-er. I am also very good in a crisis. I am a seasoned crisis pray-er (I have had a lot of practice, after all.). Often praying is just something to get done and is easily forgotten. I’m not proud of that fact, but it can easily be a reality. I don’t like the idea of scheduling prayer, but maybe that’s what it takes to develop the habit. If I’m going to say that I need to pray more, I should really have a plan to accomplish that. I think I can commit to keeping a prayer list - a simple list to write down who/what I am praying for. I will also memorize a couple of verses of scripture about prayer.

So, people who are reading this…. are you answering these questions too? Are you spending some time in the nitty gritty of your life? I know it’s easy to just go with where life takes you and do what needs to get done, but it is good to stop and make sure you’re on course and making adjustments where they’re needed. We do all this stuff in our business/work environments but we often forget that our family life is far more important. (that was one of the lessons I got to learn again, last year) What does God have in store for your family this year? Take some time to ask Him and see where He leads you.

No comments: