Sunday, January 10, 2010

Another question...

I took a poll around church today about today's question, but I didn't get too many answers. The question is...

What is the most helpful new way you could strengthen your church?

There was one answer that I really liked the idea of, but I need to talk to some people first to see if they even want me to do what was suggested. So, I guess I'll get back to you. It was interesting to ask the question of people - it made me think that maybe we should all be asking ourselves the question. It might not be in relation to your church - maybe you don't even go to church - but what about in your job? A service organization you belong to? Or any other place that you invest your time? I have a friend who is fond of saying that if you're not moving forwards, you're moving backwards. I know what you're thinking... you could just be standing still, right? Wrong! Even if you're standing still, the things around you are still moving (mostly forward when you think about it) and pretty soon you'll look up and realize you've been left behind.
The catch in the question is the word "new". Lots of people are already serving and giving of their time, but what is something "new" that you can do? Branch out, take a risk, try something new - what's the worst that could happen?
You know what.... while I've been sitting here, I've had two phone conversations and I have an answer to the question. It's different than what I thought it was going to be and I'm still going to pursue the other option, but my new answer is that I'm going to put my time in to the life of a young girl in our church. My life was thoroughly changed by someone pouring themselves in to me while I was growing up and I think now is the perfect time for me to do the same. AND it's new for me, so it fulfills the question. This is a whole new area for me to explore and serve. Please pray that God would be the orchestrator and that He would direct a new relationship.

No comments: