Friday, October 7, 2011

Wow! Who knew a vacation could be so stressful!

It has been a week, but let me tell you.... it feels like an actual lifetime! The night before we were to get on the ship (and after I had written the last blog post) I got a message from my dog/house sitter that things weren't going well and we needed to make some changes. If it had been any other day than the one before we were getting on a ship for 5 days, I would have handled it MUCH better. I don't think I've been that stressed in years! You know the kind? Can't focus on anything? Feel sick in your stomach? Can't eat? Yes, you read that right! I didn't eat for 2 meals!! All I could think of was how much money would be going down the drain if we had to fly home the next day, rather than get on the ship. Long story short... we got on the ship, alternate plans were made for the dogs while we were on the ship, and we are sticking out the remainder of our vacation.

Maybe.

Hmmmmm.... how to explain the next vacation interrupter appropriately... Let's just say, Dylan has been "challenging" on this trip.
"Challenging" enough that I will never leave home on a vacation with him again.
"Challenging" enough that I paid $10.50 for a Rusty Anchor drink on the ship (that would be a heck of a lot of rum and a bit of cranberry juice).
"Challenging" enough that I promised Brendan I will spend the rest of my life making it up to him.

and the thing is, I feel badly for him (Dylan). I really, really do. But this time, I feel more badly for Brendan and me. Judge me if you want.

Next up on the vacation interrupter list... (there's more you are asking?) The rental car "situation". When we got off the cruise ship, I had a car waiting to pick us up (a great, brand new Escalade) and our driver took us to the airport where we were picking up our rental car for the next phase of the trip. I had booked the car online with Thrifty.com and had booked the Wild Card option. Which basically means we don't know what kind of car we will get, but we pay based on the price online the day I booked (ad adventure, if you will). Anyways, I got to the check in counter and the first thing that comes up is that they are unwilling to accept my insurance. According to the lady, Florida does not recognize any out of state liability insurance on rental cars and the only way I am leaving the counter with keys is at the additional cost of $14 per day (ironically, more than the daily rate of my car). And then, I had a $1000 hold placed on my credit card. I, however, had all my paperwork right in front of me that said I would have a hold on my credit card for the cost of the car plus 20%, which worked out to just over $500. When I pointed that out to the nice lady, she simply said "that's not our policy anymore". And yes, I talked to a supervisor. And yes, I held firm. I even almost cried. Yes, that's right - I almost cried. At the end of it all, where did I get? Nowhere. I was held hostage to a set of car keys. So I did what every self respecting girl can do. I paid the money, took the keys and promptly called my brother to ask for a loan to my credit card. (and yes, my brother saved our day!) And now I am fighting with Thrifty's online and on the phone.

The final straw in my long day yesterday? Just because everything else wasn't quite enough to push me all the way over the edge, I split open my favourite and only pair of shorts that made the cut in to my suitcase. I have some capris, but now no shorts. I know it is a simple thing, but you have to appreciate the magnitude of yesterday. (there is an Old Navy outlet store down the street, so I will stop by today and see what I can find.)

Today we are doing nothing. We are in our townhouse, it is sunny outside, there are groceries in our fridge and a car in our driveway. For all intents and purposes it looks like we are a regular family on a regular vacation.
Oh how looks can be deceiving...

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Oh Diane...... my heart goes out to you. Your story makes me want to boycott Thrifty car rentals!!!! I hope your dogs are okay. I would have jumped into help, but I have 3 cats and one is very ill enjoying her last days, so I am a little sad and stressed. Enjoy the sun as it is cloudy and cool here.
Take care.

Diane said...

Thanks Elaine!
The dogs are ok and they will both be looked after, so that's good. It's rainy here today, but HOT! We are having a day off and just lounging around. Tomorrow we will head to Universal Studios and start in on phase 3 of our vacation. And as for Thrifty car rentals... their customer service sucks! :)