Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I didn't see that one coming.

Today I spent the day with Brendan. We rode Disney's Transportation system and went to a couple of resorts, and then hit up Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. We were together, alone, for about 7 hours. Did I ever learn a lot! The kid talked non-stop the whole time and I don't think I even really got out more than a sentence at a time.

While we were waiting for a bus at the Caribbean Resort I learned that his dislocated toe has a bump on it now, but doesn't really hurt anymore.

While we were in line for Expedition Everest I learned that he really likes doing things without Dylan and that he really wants to go away, just the two of us.

While we were on Expedition Everest I learned that he likes that I go on roller-coasters with him.

While we were watching The Festival of the Lion King I learned that he knows all the words to all the Lion King songs and it doesn't bother him to sing them out loud.

While we were waiting for The Tower of Terror I learned that he thought I had bad B-O and I shouldn't raise my arms up.

While we were dropping down an elevator shaft on The Tower of Terror I learned that it wasn't me with the B-O after all (phew!).

While we were waiting for a bus to take us to Downtown Disney I learned that he loves playing music, but isn't really sure he wants that to be his career.

While we were riding a Disney bus to somewhere I learned that for the last few months he's been researching joining the Canadian Armed Forces to be a Dr.

While we were walking through Downtown Disney I was reminded how smart he is.

While we were driving home in the car I learned that he is serious about the Armed Forces.

WHAT?!

From the ages of 4 to 13 Brendan wanted to be a trauma Dr. He wanted the excitement of an emergency room - the guts and the glory. Once he turned 13, he discovered he had a great talent for music and he has been affirmed of that talent over and over. And he got swept up in to the excitement of being a musician. His reasons and rationale for NOT pursuing music as a career are quite well thought out and I really can't argue with them. The same goes for his reasons for wanting to join the Armed Forces and becoming a Dr. He wants to meet with a recruitment officer to ask questions about it all and he already has the questions thought out.
What happened to my baby? The kid who day dreamed his way through elementary school and charmed his way through everything else? I can't believe he is talking about his future so seriously and making plans to accomplish things he wants to do. He so desperately wants adventure and excitement. He wants to see the world and be a hero and have a walk on the wild side.
You know what? He has become everything I always wanted him to be.

No comments: